Download The Night in Lisbon Books Online

Specify Books As The Night in Lisbon

Original Title: Die Nacht von Lissabon
ISBN: 0449912434 (ISBN13: 9780449912430)
Edition Language: English
Characters: Josef Schwarz, Helen (The Night in Lisbon)
Setting: Lisbon(Portugal)
Download The Night in Lisbon  Books Online
The Night in Lisbon Paperback | Pages: 272 pages
Rating: 4.26 | 11613 Users | 683 Reviews

Declare About Books The Night in Lisbon

Title:The Night in Lisbon
Author:Erich Maria Remarque
Book Format:Paperback
Book Edition:First Edition
Pages:Pages: 272 pages
Published:June 9th 1998 by Random House Trade Paperbacks (first published 1962)
Categories:Fiction. Classics. Historical. Historical Fiction. War. European Literature. German Literature

Rendition Concering Books The Night in Lisbon

History and fate collide as the Nazis rise to power in The Night in Lisbon, a classic tale of survival from the renowned author of All Quiet on the Western Front.   With the world slowly sliding into war, it is crucial that enemies of the Reich flee Europe at once. But so many routes are closed, and so much money is needed. Then one night in Lisbon, as a poor young refugee gazes hungrily at a boat bound for America, a stranger approaches him with two tickets and a story to tell.   It is a harrowing tale of bravery and butchery, daring and death, in which the price of love is beyond measure and the legacy of evil is infinite. As the refugee listens spellbound to the desperate teller, in a matter of hours the two form a unique and unshakable bond—one that will last all their lives.

Rating About Books The Night in Lisbon
Ratings: 4.26 From 11613 Users | 683 Reviews

Crit About Books The Night in Lisbon
Nazis, refugees, love worth risking it all for, fatal diseases, intense moments of sudden violence, mystical reflection, lyrical description, insight into the nature of humanity in general and humanity alternately debased and elevated by the pressure of war. As with All Quiet on the Western Front, I finished this and said something like whoa, great book, how the hell hadn't I heard of this guy before -- like Zwieg, he sold a million copies before WWII and then had his books banned. Really

Just because I had spent such a great time in Lisbon 2 years ago, I decided that this book was gonna be amazing. I loved Lisbon, I loved the atmosphere there. I knew I should read it. Immediately! I hadn't read anything by Remarque by that time and I didn't really know what it would be like. It wasn't what I expected. Frankly, it was something much more interesting! I'm glad I found it and that's how it started. Remarque, Remarque, Remarque..

I'm not really sure how to review this book. It has some elements of Stefan Zweig and Georges Simenon (The Train). The story takes place during the summer before September 1939. Lisbon becomes the portal to freedom in America, as long as the ships keep sailing. An unnamed character becomes the sounding board for Schwartz (the name on his papers, not his real name). Schwartz tells his story, from the time of his incarceration in the concentration camp, to the day we meet him in Lisbon.

I am always captivated by Remarque's stories about World War II. Historical background combined with human stories about love and survival, brilliantly written. What more can you want? The Night in Lisbon is about a German jew, who struggles between his instinct for survival and the love for his wife.

A fantastic book--gripping drama, a superb love story, a tight narrative, and all the harrowing escapes and cat-and-mouse mystery you could ask for.Remarque, best known for the seminal World War I novel All Quiet on the Western Front (read it if you haven't) turns his narrative powers loose on the pre-war tension of 1939 and 1940 (in Europe-China and Japan were already at war) and the travails of refugees escaping the Nazis.It's all very topical, given the bureaucratic nightmares modern

I wanted to highlight some of the quotes in this book, but then I would have to highlight every page, since there are beautiful expressions in every single paragraph. I had forgotten how amazing this authors writing is. So poetic! This book is a masterpiece. A classic nonetheless.5+ stars

Absolutely amazing novel! I think this is my first book by Remarque and I'm in love with him. I'm part of the 1992 generation. The history taught in my school years was fairly poor and completely unappealing to teenagers, in general. I had absolutely no interest in the dynamics of war and I didn't care about the reasons behind any irrational decision of those insane leaders, at that time. But this story right here, even though technically fiction (and a romantic novel) has taught me more about

Post a Comment

0 Comments